Sunday 7 May 2017

Sleep, its important to us.

The subject of sleep is one that is discussed a lot as parents, I am one of the lucky ones Lily is a fantastic sleeper and apart from the few times she has been poorly and needed cuddles in my bed, she always sleeps in her own bed and sleeps all night every night.
That being said up until her 2nd Birthday I sat and held her hand every night until she fell asleep, sometimes sitting by her bedside for hours at a time. It wasn't until a friend gave me some well needed tough love that I decided enough was enough, I spend all day with Lily and would often sit until 10pm holding her hand until she was asleep. I had no 'me' time. If it weren't for my friends  support in going cold turkey I may have been writing a very different blog now...

It was hard. The first night Lily screamed for 8 hours straight, it was pure rage and temper but it broke my heart, my friend patiently stayed up the whole night, reassuring me and making sure I wasn't alone. I will be ever grateful for that because it was one of the most challenging, moments I had experienced as a parent. I was exhausted, but I persevered and the next night she cried for only a few hours, this went on for about a week. After that it was like something clicked in Lily's mind. I could almost see the cognitive wheels turning, she had decided she didn't need to be sad at bed time any more and that was that.

Lily's bedtime routine is pretty consistent, at the end of a Nursery day (4pm) Lily comes home and often plays with her next door neighbours, Shaun and Chloe. Either outside or in her playroom while I prepare our food, if her friends are busy she will help me cook, play or just sit and chat about her day.
We always eat meals together and have a strict no phones at the table rule, I strongly believe that having good table manners are a really important part of raising a child and Tea time is our time.


Lily and Steven (Steven is named after Lily's Grumpa)
After tea Lily spends some time with her Hamster, Steven. Building adventure trails for him or just watching him run in his ball. She loves to give him a goodnight kiss and cuddle before she goes to bed. Then she will either have a bath or a wash, she has a bath every second night unless she's particularly grubby that day. Lily loves playing in the bath and will happily spend hours splashing and swimming if I let her, making potions and teaching her dolls how to swim.
After bath time we will have a story.. or 5.. (who am I kidding sometimes its 6) by this time it is usually between 7 and 7.30pm and Lily is ready for bed, we go downstairs to brush her teeth, wash her face and use the toilet one last time and then it's in to bed for Lily.
She makes sure I know all of her bedtime 'rules' and gives me a kiss and cuddle night ,night and that her in bed for the night.
 
"Night Night Love you, see you in the morning, leave the hall light on all night, don't turn it off when you go to bed. if you have the TV on have it on quietly" - Lily's Bedtime Rules
 
Lily usually sleeps from between 7.30/7.45pm- 8.30/9am the next day and is so active throughout the day that she needs a good night sleep.

I'd love to hear about sleep routines from other families!

Thanks for Reading

Danielle x

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Small Shops of the week

 My Small shops of the week this week are the brilliant @YumSugarAndSpice and @Jellys_Jewels. Completely different businesses who ...